Lots of news to share from this past week, including the recent discovery of a lost Christmas poem by J.R.R. Tolkien. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!
Pax Et Bonum,
Top Catholic Tweets for December 23, 2016
- Papal Tweet: “Our joy comes from the confidence we have that the Lord is close to us with his tenderness, mercy, forgiveness and love.” (Pope Francis, December 18, 2016)
- Humanitarian work of Catholic Relief Services (CNS) ow.ly/NycP307hq3y
- USCCB forms working group to monitor needs of migrants, refugees (CNS) National Migration Week Jan. 8-14 ow.ly/NLkd307cPpD
- Introduction: The ‘O Antiphons’ (Fr. Dan Horan, O.F.M. – Dating God) ow.ly/SSYK307dvV3
- Holy Family, Refugee Family: Digital Advent Retreat (CRS) ow.ly/A1on307hAom
- Pope Francis to visit Fatima May 12th & 13th to mark 100th Anniversary (CNS) ow.ly/MRgm307hAxF
- Be an artisan for peace for 50th Anniversary of World Day of Peace (Pax Christi) – LINK
- Pope names first woman to head Vatican Museums (CNS) ow.ly/rS8V307iFsL
- For the ex-slave who blessed Denver, a path to sainthood opens (Crux/CNA) ow.ly/cdQN307juQ4
- Pope Francis pleads for end to ‘homicidal madness’ of terrorism (CNA) ow.ly/pJaw307iFOf
- Man donates $100K lottery winnings to Boston shrine (Crux) ow.ly/Rt7Z307lWWG
- Pope Francis lays out 12 guiding principles for reform of the Roman Curia (CNA) ow.ly/EjmC307n8gd
- The Birth of Mercy (Archdiocese of St Louis) ow.ly/mz2l307okB8
- Christmas Blessing 2016 (Fr. Larry Dunham, O.F.M. – Holy Land Franciscans) ow.ly/eD9a307ojUw
- The Real Story of St. Francis and the Nativity Scene (Dr. Lori Pieper, O.F.S. – Tau Cross Books and Media) ow.ly/osB0307oWry
- Polish Christmas Wafer: A Flavorless Tradition That’s Oh So Sweet (NPR) ow.ly/33dS307hHfM
- Bethlehem’s declining Christian population casts shadow over Christmas (National Catholic Reporter) ow.ly/BY1U307juKb
- On the Trail of Italy’s Manger Hoppers (The New York Times) ow.ly/NhQ8307kWoS
- Christmas: Not just for Christians in Lebanon (CNS) ow.ly/F6DX307ojOh
- Beautiful: See Christmas as never before, as told by children with Down Syndrome (Aleteia.org/Speak Life) ow.ly/5pV9307eTrt (video below)
Lost Poem of J.R.R. Tolkien entitled “Noel”
More about discovery of this lost work: Tolkien’s Lost “Noel” (Footnotes) ow.ly/eLZG307c1Ms
NOEL by J.R.R. Tolkien
Grim was the world and grey last night:
The moon and stars were fled,
The hall was dark without song or light,
The fires were fallen dead.
The wind in the trees was like to the sea,
And over the mountains’ teeth
It whistled bitter-cold and free,
As a sword leapt from its sheath.
The lord of snows upreared his head;
His mantle long and pale
Upon the bitter blast was spread
And hung o’er hill and dale.
The world was blind, the boughs were bent,
All ways and paths were wild:
Then the veil of cloud apart was rent,
And here was born a Child.
The ancient dome of heaven sheer
Was pricked with distant light;
A star came shining white and clear
Alone above the night.
In the dale of dark in that hour of birth
One voice on a sudden sang:
Then all the bells in Heaven and Earth
Together at midnight rang.
Mary sang in this world below:
They heard her song arise
O’er mist and over mountain snow
To the walls of Paradise,
And the tongue of many bells was stirred
in Heaven’s towers to ring
When the voice of mortal maid was heard,
That was mother of Heaven’s King.
Glad is the world and fair this night
With stars about its head,
And the hall is filled with laughter and light,
And fires are burning red.
The bells of Paradise now ring
With bells of Christendom,
And Gloria, Gloria we will sing
That God on earth is come.
Top Catholic Tweets are compiled weekly by John Clem, O.F.S. who is the Director and Media Minister at Catholic Web Services (http://catholicws.com/). John is a professed member of the Secular Franciscan Order, and loves to share his talents in faith, technology, and journalism in service to the church. John’s blog is entitled Call To Holiness (http://www.calltoholiness.us/). Follow John on Twitter at @Catholicwebs, on Facebook and at Google+ .